Dear RCLS Families,
It was good to see you all last Saturday. Hopefully you have thawed out a bit from the cold weather last week. We will have Chinese School this Saturday, January 13th.
Special Notice from St. Timothy's School
The downstairs office area between the two wings of the school will be off-limits and closed this week and next week due to renovations. In order to access the first floor of the middle school wing, you will have to either go upstairs, pass in front of the media center, and use the stairs to go to the first floor. We will also see about opening the door nearest the gym for these two weeks as well. The door at Rowan St will also remain locked for these two weeks.
1. This week (1/13) or next week (1/20) is Meet the Teacher. It is a time when your child's teacher can go over the expectations for the spring semester. Your child's teacher will let you know the day s/he will have this meeting. Please make every effort to attend.
2. On January 27th there is no school. The annual TACAS New Year Festival will be a Dorton Arena on that day. There is a flyer attached with more information. RCLS hosts an information booth about our school and has several free children's activities for attendees. We will need 24-30 volunteers to work in 3 shifts throughout the day. Please come by the RCLS office this week or email firstname.lastname@example.org to volunteer. Several culture classes will also perform at this event. We will be selling tickets in the RCLS office this week and next week as well.
3. On February 10th there is no school. We will have our annual RCLS New Year Celebration. THERE IS A LOCATION CHANGE THIS YEAR: the celebration will be at Sanderson High School, 5500 Dixon Dr, Raleigh, NC 27609. Here is the information from the PTA:
· Potluck Luncheon starts at 11:30 am - each classroom will need to prepare for their own potluck
· HOWEVER, PTA will have plates, bowls, utensils, and napkins available should you wish to use them!
· Performances will start promptly at 1 pm in the auditorium
· This year, raffle prizes will be KIDS ONLY (i.e., raffle tickets will only be given to the kids present because the prizes are for the kids)
Your room parent is responsible for sending out an email to get your RSVP and/or potluck item. Please coordinate food and drinks. Families with more than one child at RCLS may choose which class they will sit with for the potluck. If there are any questions, come by the RCLS office.
Academic Affairs Announcements
Two big contests happen in the Spring Semester:
Tri-Fold Contest: Our annual tri-fold contest will be held on 3/24. Please assist your child(s) with any details needed for the tri-fold. Teachers are preparing classes now for another wonderful display of learning, culture, and artwork. A display of past years tri-folds will be available for viewing for the next month. We invite you to view and enjoy.
Word Recognition Contest: Teachers are now preparing classes for our annual word recognition contest. Classes have received or will be receiving a word bank of characters. Please start preparing your children now. Teachers will provide as much support and instruction as possible, but we ask parents/guardians to guide their children as much as possible. Seventy percent of the characters given must be correctly recognized for advancement. Let's help our children do an amazing job this year. Word banks will be posted on the school website as soon as possible.
RCLS Summer Camp will be July 16th to 20th. Registration is open. See the attached flyer for more information. Tell your friends and neighbors as well.
Please remember to keep classrooms clean, especially the floors and desks. Thank you for reading this newsletter. I look forward to seeing you on Saturday.